Gut Health | Naturopathic Doctor in Scottsdale | Dr. Roz
page-template-default,page,page-id-16056,page-child,parent-pageid-15805,wp-custom-logo,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode_popup_menu_push_text_top,qode-theme-ver-13.4,qode-theme-bridge,e-lazyload,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-7.5,vc_responsive,elementor-default,elementor-kit-16352

Gut Health

Gut Health | Naturopathic Doctor in Scottsdale | Dr Roz

Gut Health: The Importance of Probiotics

There are numerous bacteria and neurons that live within the wall of the gastrointestinal tract, also referred to as the ‘gut.’ These microscopic neurons and bacteria secrete neurotransmitters and hormones play a significant role on how we feel, the cravings we experience, how we think and our overall health and well-being, including immune health.


Roughly 80 percent of your immune system lives in your gut in the form of receptor cells. Therefore, what happens in your gut has great significance to your overall immune function. Your gut is healthiest when you have a large, thriving population of beneficial bacteria, also known as probiotics, which supports your immune system receptor cells. These important cells serve as a protective shield within your intestines and colon.

What are Probiotics?

Of all the cells in your body, only 10% of them are human. The other 90% are actually bacteria. Most bacteria are beneficial and vital to your health, such as probiotics. Probiotics are the live, good bacteria that reside within your gut and absorb nutrients to support your immune system. If you don’t have enough probiotics you can suffer from a multitude of side effects including; skin issues, digestive disorders, frequent colds and flus, candida, and autoimmune disease.


Due to commercialized food processing and harmful use of preservatives and artificial ingredients, many foods today contain little to no probiotics. Supplementing probiotic-rich foods into your diet could result in a variety of health benefits, including but not limited to the following:

  • Weight loss
  • Reduced cold and flu
  • Increased energy 
  • Healthier skin, probiotics support healing psoriasis and eczema 
  • Improved digestion
  • A strengthened immune system
  • Better breath, probiotics destroy candida
  • Healing from inflammatory bowel disease and leaky gut

To make an appointment at our Scottsdale Naturopathic office, call 480.999.0809 and be on your way to improved digestive wellness and overall health.